What to Eat and When

I think the biggest problem people have is eating correctly. The best way to eat correctly is to mentally prepare and know what you need to eat and what you do not need to eat. Let’s talk about reality for a minute. We all live busy lives and prepping our meals can often be difficult if not impossible some days. The first thing you need to do is understand what processed fast food is and what it isn’t.

I like to tell people that if you go through a drive-through or lunch you are not doing your body well. If you look at our free e-book you will see a basic plan to start getting into shape. The first step is to stop drinking soda as its just plain bad for you. Every once in a while a soda tastes good, so have one. Once a month will not kill you. In fact, I had my very first soda of the year yesterday while eating pizza.

What I like to talk about all the time is moderation. I also like to enjoy all kinds of you as I’m sure you do, and what I have found is that by grabbing a few of whatever hits the taste buds every so often, calms the cravings. I do not do this daily. In fact, I often do not do this even monthly.

Eat me on a limited basis!

The second area for changing your lifestyle is to stay out of the drive-through. I also give you tips for shopping and how to shop. In order to be successful you need to have a plan. Plan A is prepping all of your food and Plan B is knowing what food you can eat when away from home that is better than fast food.

Plan A

On Sunday, or whatever your day of rest is, you will want to cook up a variety of food for the week and store it in some form of food storage.

I cook up enough food to take 3 small meals with me to work for all 5 days. The meals consist of veggies, meat, and some rice. The veggies I get from the frozen food aisle and there are dozens of choices to pick from. The rice should be long grain and whole wheat. Meats can be any lean meat that is preferably range fed: turkey, beef, pork, fish, and chicken. Personally I do not eat pork, I just don’t.

So I prep 15 meals ready to go for the week.

Then I plan out snacks. I get bananas, almonds, and peanut butter and honey ready to go.

Plan B

The best laid out plans always go upside down. Due to forgetting to pack your meals you may have to eat out. So where do you eat? Subway and Chipotle have calorie counters online that make it easy to know what you are putting in your body. The best plan is to eat in and do not go out. We all know how that works out sometimes, don’t we? Follow the 90/10 rule for eating and you will be good.

Plan C

I know I did not prep you for a plan C and there really isn’t one. Reality is if you are staying out of the drive-through, not eating processed foods, you and your body will begin to communicate. For example, I know by how I feel if I have had too much salt or sugar and act accordingly. The 90/10 rule applies here. 90% of the food that you eat should be food that you have prepped yourself. The other 10% is processed. Hey, we live in a fast paced real world.

Snacks

Have healthy snacks on hand. This includes bananas, almonds, peanut butter, etc. I love peanut butter and honey sandwiches, they are low in carbs, high in protein, and contain good fats.

For the most part it is common sense. I follow these simple rules:

  1. No drive-through
  2. No soda
  3. Do not eat out of a box
  4. Shop the outside or perimeter of the grocery store
  5. Prep 90% of all my meals
  6. Eat every 2 to 3 hours
  7. Don’t beat yourself up when you crave a cheeseburger, just go get one
  8. Moderation
  9. Moderation
  10. Moderation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *